J-1: Exchange Visitor Visa

J-1: Exchange Visitor Visa- The exchange visitor visa was created to promote educational and cultural exchanges between the U.S. and other countries. It is mostly available to people who have signed up with an approved program focused on teaching, receiving training, or conducting research. There is no limit on the number of people who can receive J-1 visas.

You qualify for a J-1 visitor visa if you are coming to the U.S. as a student, scholar, trainee, teacher, professor, research assistant, medical graduate, or international visitor and if you are participating in a program of studies specifically designed for such individuals by the U.S. Department of State, through its Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs.


There are five requirements for getting a J-1 visa:

  • You must be coming to the U.S. to work, study, teach, train, consult, or observe U.S. culture in a specific exchange visitor program approved by the DOS
  • You must already have been accepted into the program
  • You must have enough money to cover your expenses while in the U.S.
  • You must have sufficient knowledge of English to be able to participate effectively in the exchange visitor program you have chosen, and
  • You must intend to return home when your status expires.


Bringing your Spouse and Children:When you qualify for a J-1 visas, your spouse and unmarried children under age 21 can get J-2 visas to accompany you. They will need to provide proof of their family relationship to you, such as marriage and birth certificates.


3525 Hyland Ave., Suite 225
Costa Mesa, CA 92626

Contact Info:

Call: (714) 432-1333
Email: info@lawyerhelp4u.com

Office Hours:

Monday-Friday: 9-6pm
*By appointment only

For appointment:
Phone: (714) 432-1333